Monday, April 20, 2009

Embryonic Stem Cell's Help Cure Macular Degeneration

My Alzheimer stricken Dad suffers from "...age-related macular degeneration (AMD), the most common cause of blindness... The disease involves the loss of eye cells."

Of course the cure will be controversial: "Under the new treatment, embryonic stem cells are transformed into replicas of the missing cells. They are then placed on an artificial membrane which is inserted in the back of the retina."

When the time comes and if I am stricken with the same disease, sign me up. Being blind adds to the confusion my father already suffers from Alzheimers.

2 comments:

gone said...

This is good news! Thanks for pointing it out.

Judith said...

My Mother suffers from AMD in one of her eyes. You are so right about this disease adding confusion in the lives of the Alzheimer patient.

This is important news to me. Thanks for posting.