Monday, March 31, 2008

Actual Conversation



My husband was in line at the bank the other day and an older man was in front of him with a little bag full of the new dollar coins.

The man said, “I was collecting these, but they don’t have “In God We Trust” on them.” The older guy went on, “I cannot have that. I won’t have that.”

My husband, collecting the coins himself, and curious if these might not be the misprinted ones that were worth a lot more than the dollar,
asked him “They don’t have it on the edge?”

Irritated that he might not seem ‘with it’ enough to figure out the truth behind his own outrage, the man replied, “Nope. I checked!”

Prior to 1864 I guess this guy might have traded in horses.

Coming up with a good question for the guy, after they had parted, my husband wondered if the man had “in God We Trust” imprinted on his debit and credit cards.

6 comments:

iamcoyote said...

So, uh, "render unto Caesar" means nothing to this dude, right? Sheesh, some folks sure are dependent on the trapping of their religion and oblivious to the meaning...

snark said...

I still think the best sign I've ever seen poster behind the register in a store is;

In God We Trust.
All others pay cash.

Milo said...

So stupid. The Red Scare did so much to damage us as a people. And its effects carry on to this day.

Seven of Six said...

The "Red Scare" was bad... but did you see what Obama did the other day! ;)

idiosynchronic said...

"In God We Trust - Everyone Else, Cash"

-motto, University of Okoboji.

snark said...

-motto, University of Okoboji.

I think I know some guys who went there!