Monday, March 31, 2008

Toward a More Bitter Pacifism - "Imagine"

The original version of this song, performed by John Lennon, first debuted over a decade before I was born. Still, my mother was a huge Beatles fan, and so hearing this song served for one of my earliest childhood memories.

That version, of course, was bright, dreamy, optimistic. It carried, deep in its lyrical folds, the promise of a better tomorrow. This updated cover, performed by Maynard Keenan side-project A Perfect Circle, carries truck with none of that. It is mournful, bare, angry. It prays for peace, and knows that it will find none.

On the evenings before mission, laying in bed as my comrades slept, I used to listen to this song and dwell what might await me once I left the safety of the wire. I remember the pain of my separation from Anne, the dread that I might never see her again, the guilt of feeling that I had doomed my marriage to end in widowhood, and I found something I knew in the tones of Maynard's voice. I used to look up, squinting, as the F-16s roared skyward over my motor pool, and think of that clanging piano. I thought of the American people back home, some who wanted me home, some who wanted me to stay, and I felt abandoned to a loneliness I had no ability to understand.

This song helped me "get it."

6 comments:

iamcoyote said...

Wow, that's a really dark version - I love it. And Maynard's voice is amazing. I'm a total Tool/APC fan, loved them both in concert.

Songs'll do that to you, become a soundtrack for certain periods in your life. I don't listen as much as I used to, just because some places, I don't care to revisit.

Seven of Six said...

I used to listen to tunes as well... before and during a big mission. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms was my favorite in my Army days.

After an evening of intense tracer rounds, I can still see the jungle fog, sticking to the ground. Sunrise streaking through the tree canopy, wet as fuck, Panamanian mud sticking to everything, from an all night rain. Safe, and in the clear, knowing those Cuban Mercs wouldn't fuck with us during daylight hours.
12 hours later it started all over again. Prayed for no rain... right, in the wet season.

Certainly, a different type of War Milo.

Anonymous said...

Just stopped by to say Hi to everyone. My internet access is kind of limited lately... basta!!

Anyhoo - keep up the good work, kids!

iamcoyote said...

Hey Ripley! Good to see you, even if your candidate sucks!

Milo said...

*Smacks coyote on the arm* What did we talk about? :-P Play nice.

iamcoyote said...

Ow! I was just doin' the Atrios line, Milo! Sheesh... heehee