Sunday, March 30, 2008

Ain't gonna study war no more...

Milo's got a new post up, go take a look.
It's true: I DON'T watch war movies anymore, or partake of any entertainment dealing with military life. At first, I figured it was simply for lack of a need--after all, I AM military--but then I realized that it was something more. These war-movies, these wargames, all attempt to depict a body of experience alien to most people. For most, the reactions I have seen to these forms of media are not disgust, fear, or introspection, but rather envy.
From the Keyboard Kommandos to Bush himself, who blatantly said he was "envious" of the troops in Afghanistan:
"It must be exciting for you ... in some ways romantic, in some ways, you know, confronting danger. You're really making history, and thanks."
It all boils down to penis envy. These guys don't actually want to do what the soldiers are doing, they want to be as adored by history as the real soldiers are (as depicted in film and on tv). They want to be seen as heroes, and believe that somehow, by fetishizing the troops as heroic avatars, and cheerleading a continuation of military conquest, they'll somehow become warriors vicariously, and history will paint them victorious and noble. Fat chance.

As for those depictions of war, they've always been romanticized by artists from the first cave drawings all the way up to Band of Brothers. Even Picasso's Guernica - for me, one of the most vivid and visceral depictions of the horror of war, is an abstract, as if we can't bear to look at the profound devastation of life, land and hope straight on. I can understand why you aren't interested in war movies anymore, Milo, you've seen the real thing day in, day out, and any depiction from here on in is going to seem like a lie and a betrayal.

4 comments:

Seven of Six said...

Milo needs to see a shrink... yesterday. I say that not from my empathy of a fellow soldier but for my love of him as a human being.

The more he tries to distance himself from the military, the closer it will appear. The hate will eat him up. He can't let something like this live rent free in his head!

He's spot on in his previous article:
And our Vice President be damned, nobody who "volunteered," as he so callously reminds us, ever volunteered to die.
Yet, I was a tool once... it's not easy accepting that role.

There will never be an escape for him. He's tied to war, the military and the art and history that will accompany it.

All that's left is his cynicism.

Milo said...

*Sigh*

You're not the first person to say this. Truthfully, I keep wanting to tell myself it isn't so bad (I mean, c'mon, I'm getting out), but the more I think about it, the more you might be right. I'll look into it.

Seriously. Thanks, Seven.

As for the rest of you, WELCOME BACK! This is awesome! I'm so glad to see you all back in one place. And hell yes, I'd love to contribute! Coyote, sign me up! Email me at milofreeman@hotmail.com

Anne Freeman said...

It has always fascinated me to see how people romanticize hardships. I think it's a defense mechanism, in a way. I grew up in a mining/logging town, and the people there did something very similar. The old folks would tell these horrible stories of dangerous working conditions and brutal injuries, and they'd talk about it with a wink and a laugh. Milo has some stories that remind me of that.

I can't fault the average Joe for buying into the romance a little. It's certainly easier than trying to accept the horror of war, and the harsh realities that come with it. I can't fault the average person, but I CAN fault the commander in chief. The very idea that the leader of our armed forces buys into that romance and heroism is dangerous and disgusting. If there is one guy I want to see VERY in touch with the harsh reality of warfare, it should be the dude in charge.

iamcoyote said...

If there is one guy I want to see VERY in touch with the harsh reality of warfare, it should be the dude in charge.

And yet, for all his wistful romanticism, he's too chicken to do more than put on a flight suit and prance around the carrier deck.

Nice to see you both here, though! I sent out the invite, Milo, and both you and Anne can use that one, or I can send a separate one for Anne. Let me know if you have any problems! And write about anything you want...except...treatises on why your candidate's the best and theirs sucks. You can do that at TLC! We're all refugees from the pie fight!