Monday, March 31, 2008

Let the Balls Roll Where They Fall

It's no secret that this blog and it's mothership have a certain disdain for the echo chamber that passes for a blog at Daily Kos. However, I do read it every weekday morning for one reason - Bill.


I know there are several problems - I'm hetero, he's not. We're both married to our particular spouses already . . etc. But I think you get the idea.

Bill raised a good point today:
I remember hearing back in '04---and the Very Serious People in Journalismland were adamant about this---that "few people really pay attention to the race until after summer vacation." If there's even a shred of truth to that, we can let the primaries play out to their scheduled June conclusion just fine. If Hillary's chances haven't risen to at least 50-50 and she stays in anyway, that's when she'll have jumped the shark and her support will naturally crumble.

What happened to that bit of wisdom about how the American electorate really doesn't pay attention until the fall? Well, it sounds a bit hollow when literally hundreds of thousands of new caucus and primary voters have shown up this year at the polls, setting incredible records and scaring the pants off of the GOP establishment. People are paying attention. And the possibility of a historical landslide election equivalent to 1980, 1976 or even 1932 is exceptional. So is the wisdom still valid? Will there still be the same time after the summer conventions?

Obama, on campaign in PA, went bowling yesterday. Apparently he sucks at it, like most of us, but he took it in stride, focusing on the message and not the gutter balls. But I tell you, the AP photo just looks . . odd.

5 comments:

iamcoyote said...

Wait, is that Nixon in the picture? And what's with the wallpaper? It hurts my eyes!

snark said...

Was it Nixon who had the bowling alley installed in the White House basement? I think it was. And I bet that wallpaper matched the drapes in the Oval Office!

RE: Bill, meeting him at YK'07 was one of the highlights of the event.

iamcoyote said...

I gotta say, I've always loved that song, idio! What a great vid!

Anjha said...

It is a great video but now I have that song stuck in my head and I hate it when that happens.


I was really freaked out about this fight but Bill Clinton telling me to chill out actually helped. I do believe that the insane registration numbers can only help our Party.

As long as the campaigns keep it elevated and don't do the tearing down crap that they have both been known to do, I think that it will be really good come November.

The other thing that gives me comfort is remembering that it has only been less than three months since Iowa.

Anything could happen between now and then and I believe that a lot of the nastiness will be forgotten especially when people start paying attention to McCain.

McCain scares the shit out of me. He treats war as a tool of personal revenge. Giving him that kind of power is nuts.

Bitty said...

From your typing fingers to God's ears on that landslide thing. The mere concept of President McCain terrifies me.

And all I ever really wanted to be when I grew up was Marilyn McCoo.