Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Happy Thoughts

We had a saying downrange: "Complacency kills."

It was true then, and it's true now. Especially in the realm of politics. We owe our Congressional majority to complacency on the part of the Republican Party (not to mention a list of corruption charges that make the House Appropriations Committee look like an ATM). Given the lessons of the last eight years, I'd not advise us to heed this saying well, but I've been thinking about the Presidential race, and I'd like to share a thought.

The blogosphere: As a whole, we've been pulling out our hair lately because of Hillary and Obama. I understand this, and it frustrates me too. I hear the cries about how we should be focusing on the GOP, and I agree wholeheartedly. Do I see the polls indicating that McCain has a lead on both candidates, and feel just a hint of fear? Sure. "Over the dunes and IEDS, back to the Mideast I go."

But as Gandalf said, "I bring tidings in this dark hour." I'd like to share a vision, if I can.

Picture a Dem candidate... say Obama, because I support him. Different strokes, whatever. NOW, picture the candidate of your choice, having secured the nomination. We have a black man and a woman, each arguing for improvements on the domestic fronts, who argue for better healthcare, for troop reductions in Iraq, and for a host of other wholesome liberal values that we can all get behind, right?

Okay, I've set up the pins. NOW imagine the other guy: John McCain. Pudgy, confused, easily angered: keeps company with George Bush and Joe Lieberman. A guy who obviously knows nothing about the economy, nor foreign policy. A guy who cannot be inoffensive no matter how hard he tries. A guy who openly champions EVERY SINGLE FUCKING policy move of the last eight years--who calls BAGHDAD safe. A guy who, if you might remember, flips out and calls his wife a "cunt," in public, to her face.

Now picture, a few months from now, the first debate. The first BIG debate, nationally televised. Picture, for my sake, Barack Obama, charismatic speaker, diehard liberal, fresh-faced junior senator, against this Grumpy Munchkin. Picture the questions, the responses. And tell me that McCain's fraction of a lead isn't going to just disappear before they get to the first commercial break.

Even Hillary Clinton, as much baggage as comes with that name, is more than strong enough, smart enough, to dance circles around this guy. She'd have him stumbling around like Rocky after going ten rounds with Apollo Creed the first time. She might take some real dingers from the wingnuts in the crowd, but damn it, she'll convince the centrists, I bet.

And Obama? Please. Obama would fucking destroy him.

18 comments:

iamcoyote said...

And maybe, if our candidate refrains from sighing, the media will report the KO. Hopefully, people will watch for themselves and not just the talking heads afterwards.

Milo said...

Ah, and there lies the rub, isn't it? The gossipy, man-love-happy bullshit artists of the 24-hour cable news cesspool. They, and they alone, have the power to steer us into another eight years (8, motherfucker) of PNAC wet-dreamy goodness.

It hurts me to think that so much rides on the effusive statements of a guy who complains of a candidate that "he bowls like a girl," who expresses his love-that-dare-not for Fred Thompson by referring to his "firm hands" and daddy-figure qualities.

Man, fuck that guy.

Milo said...

Hey coyote, where we getting all these swank profile icons? Who do I have to talk to?

iamcoyote said...

Sadly, Milo, the talking heads talk that way because people are still buying after all the lies. Just look at the blogs f'rinstance; the posts about war or the economy or even global warming get a couple comments, and the ones arguing about Wright or snipers in Bosnia get hundreds. Humans are susceptible to things they only need an opinion on, and avoid things they need to have a working knowledge of. We're lazy folk; work is... hard work!

Seven of Six said...

Hey Milo, for 20 bucks I'll hook you up with snark.

iamcoyote said...

Milo, snark made them for us - I'm sure he can whip one up for you. Give him a theme and see what he comes up with.

Seven of Six said...

Milo, snark is some kind of ar-teest! Check out Dylan and MLK.

Milo said...

I saw, and lo, they was funky.

Anjha said...

I got yer propaganda right here!

So, imagine my surprise when I found that the MSM was carrying the Patraeus hearing live and I did not have to turn to CSPAN to get it.

Surprise turned quickly to disgust as I was able to determine that the Senators were well aware that they were being carried on the cable news shows and they began to grandstand as though a grander stand had never been taken.

"Isn't it true that..."

In a court of law I think that would be called "leading the witness" but I'm no attorney.

The right wing freaks, joined by Lieberman, are spending their questioning time in making their points that everything is Iran's fault. (Everthing in Iraq would be just great if it weren't for Iran's evil influence.)

Inhoffe wanted to make sure that the American public were aware that any talk of torture or mistreating of the detainees was only a "myth perpetrated by the far left" 'cause people are lining up to be taken into custody in Iraq because the detention centers are safer than the fucking streets.

This hearing is a joke. Far more of a joke than the last one where the numbers did not mean shit because they had changed the way that they calculated the numbers.

I am still glad that they are carrying the hearing (maybe in its entirety? na, MSM would not spend that many commercial free hours on something like this.

dumb asses.

Anjha said...

and Milo, I agree that either one of our candidates will run rough shot right around McCain - except, I am concerned about the media's love affair with him.

Personally, I can hardly stand looking at the pasty old coot anymore. He really freaks me out and I feel that he will be terribly dangerous for this country.

I think that he should not have any kind of access to making decisions about war (and peace) - tho I have never once heard peace be uttered by him.

Does anyone remember the time when our leaders actually spoke of peace? Peace used to be something that we strove towards, something that we tried to achieve, something that we wanted.

Now people laugh at it as though peace = wimpiness. I do not get it.

snark said...

Who do I have to talk to?

Do you look anything like Dylan?

Give me a cue and I'll see what I can do Milo.

idiosynchronic said...

Milo, You're my newest blog crush. You just said it all right there, including the irrational media love and hate.

I've been on the couch, horizontal, trying to keep it from leaking from orifices for the last 4 days.

But I'm now feeling much better. really. Balm for the soul.

snark said...

I've been on the couch, horizontal, trying to keep it from leaking from orifices for the last 4 days.

Orifices?

Listen, if it burns when you pee you better get yourself up off the couch and to a doctor pronto!

iamcoyote said...

My thoughts exactly, with an added "ewwww!"

snark said...

I just walked out of my office and Toni Morrison walked past me going in the other direction.

Gotta love NYC celebrity sightings!

iamcoyote said...

How cool! I don't know that I'd know what she looks like, tho.

Still, if you see George Clooney, grab 'im for me, will ya?

Anonymous said...

Speaking of McCain debating current issues, check what he managed to upchuck at the recent hearing for Iraq goal outlining:

“Should the United States ... choose to withdraw from Iraq before adequate security is established, we will exchange for this victory a defeat that is terrible and long-lasting.”

Bzzzzzzzt. Wrong.

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/bushmission2.jpg

2003. Mission Accomplished. 5 years of 'extra' and we're so far behind we can't see an ending without defeat in the near future? McCain is cancer. It's almost as if he's slipped into some sort of senior delirium.

For fucks sake he called his wife a "trollop." I wonder what other 1930's slang he's brandished at her. I bet he's flown off the handle with a "street-walker" or two.

And Milo, imagine his jowls during a naked skydiving escapade. Now imagine Cindy. DO IT.

iamcoyote said...

McCain? Naked? I don't think so.