Saturday, April 12, 2008

War of the Bridges - From Lurch

God...

I was just patrolling the old blog entries, looking up some info on longtime friend (and one of my original readers), Lurch. He passed away not too long ago, a sad event which I have yet to fully address in writing. But while over at Left is Right, I caught a blurb linking to one of his reports at Main and Central. "The War of the Bridges."

And in the process, I had what I think may have just been my first flashback. I can't explain it, other than simply to say: "Oh my God, this was us."

This was ME. This was what I DID. These attacks are what kept me awake for forty-plus hours at a stretch, trying to undo what those bastards wrought. This is what nearly broke us, stripped us of supplies, equipment. I thought I'd moved past most of it: the mortars, the times getting shot at, the late nights, the back-breaking missions.

But this, this is different. I'm actually dizzy. I need to get up from the computer.

2 comments:

iamcoyote said...

Man, that's pretty crazy. We all probably need to step away from the computers. Take care, Milo!

Seven of Six said...

Milo, This was my post about Lurch. I mentioned that his work on "The War of the Bridges" was some of his most outstanding work.

It fucking hits you like a ton of bricks doesn't it!

If it gets worse, see somebody. It's imperative!