Monday, April 7, 2008

What it All Means

It’s not just a waste of ink.

Apparently, doodling actually means something and can tell us something about ourselves. (Yes, a study was commissioned.)

“Abstract shapes signify freethinkers unlimited by boundaries. Boxes within boxes could mean feeling trapped or overwhelmed, while linked boxes point to linked ideas and a desire to construct.

Flowers, the study said, are the work of creative or self-absorbed people. Spirals drawn outward show the desire to move on; toward the inside, a desire to focus.”


My doodles tend to be extravagant asterisks, where the feathery circle rainbows out from the center. I also doodle lines that look like flames. I always doodle when on the phone and I will do it on whatever paper tends to be lying around. In my house it is usually envelopes (because it takes me forever to deal with my mail.)

So, do you doodle? When do you doodle and what do you doodle?

2 comments:

snark said...

Do I doodle?

And how!

The margins of most of my meeting notes are doodled. Mostly collections of geometric shapes that link up to each other. I guess that means I have an inclination to construct stuff. Who knew!

iamcoyote said...

Uncanny, snark! Do some of your doodles look like buildings??

Heehee - I do asterisks, too, all on one line along the line of the paper. I draw circles around them, then connect 'em. Never was good with faces, so most of the serious drawing I ever did ended up cubist.