Thursday, May 1, 2008

Two Sides Redux

Robinswing, Black Kos editor, on the Wright meltdown:
I keep wondering if in his actions, Wright wasn’t giving Obama what he needed to move forward. Jeremiah is not a stupid man. I do not believe he is jealous of Obama. I do not believe he is a narcissist. The narcissists get the million dollar home as soon as the church can afford it. They don’t put the church’s money into programs.
. . He made a point of saying that he was not Obama’s spiritual advisor. And chided Obama for not listening to the whole sermon. Took that one off Obama’s back. I’m sure it pissed Buchanan off. He’s been trying to hang Obama with this spiritual advisor label since the beginning of this farce. Also apparently everyone else goes to church every Sunday and because Wright said Obama hadn’t heard the whole sermon, he took that weapon right out of the punditz hands.
. . In my heart I believe I’ve seen Br’er Rabbit getting thrown into the briar patch.[ed: my bolding]


It does make a certain amount of sense, but I'm not sure I'm qualified to properly evaluate this. There are some pretty astute people, even in ministry. But we're talking something beyond Rove-like campaign thuggery, where you are so many steps ahead of your opposition that they don't even know they're walking in the steps you laid for them.

What are the chances that after 4 or so weeks of not communicating with the press for Wright to go on a grandstanding weekend campaign, acting how all the Homeys in the press want him to act, just so Obama finally has to throw him under the bus? No more Wright, no more issue, and Obama looks like he's acceptable to people uncomfortable with Black Liberation theology. In a moment that makes George Stephanopoulos and James Carville and their Sistah Souljah triangulation look like grade-school political strategy.

Man, now that's a Wright I'd love to meet.

5 comments:

snark said...

Honestly, I don't think so.

On another note, Markos' own perverse brand of CDS is manifesting itself in new and bizarre ways. He gives us this insightful gem about Hillary Clinton's interview with Bill O'Reilly. O'Reilly and CLinton were engaged in a spirited back and forth about taxes and whether Clinton was going to raise them and on who and by how much.

Huff Post summarizes the controversial portion for us;

One of the more heated policy discussions came over taxes. O'Reilly demanded to know how much Clinton was going to "take out of my wallet," and when she listed a series of proposals to aid middle class families, O'Reilly interjected. "I'm not middle class, I'm a rich guy." Clinton responded (in an awkward moment), "Rich people, God bless us. We deserve all the opportunities to make sure our country and our blessings continue until the next generation."

First off, let me say that there was nothing at all awkward about Clinton's comment. What it was was a very sarcastic comment about O'Reilly's overwhelming concern for his 'riches'. She was making fun of him. That was abundantly clear.

But what does Markos make of this exchange? Is the money coveting scrooge O'Reilly the bad guy in the exchange? Oh no. That distinction, in Markos' CDS addled brain goes to Senator Clinton. He ends his post;

In any case, those of you who aren't rich? It's because God hates you.

I'm sorry, but what a petty little prick.

iamcoyote said...

I was never so invested in dKos that the turn into madness seems like such a betrayal. A friend who knows some of the FPers there once said that kos was brilliant at seeing a niche and exploiting it, but he was lousy at the day to day management of the blog empire he created. It's true. I like him when he talks on tv. When he contributes on the blog, it harms his brand.

As for Wright, I know I keep harping on that article snark found, but it's clear Obama asked Wright to tone it down last March, and Wright said "you're gonna have to denounce me, 'cos I'm sayin' No." With all the planning he's done for this race, and it is remarkable, to have known Wright might be an Achilles Heel, and to not be prepared for the fallout is disappointing. It pissed me off no end that Kerry seemed unable to answer the "voted for it before voting against it" and the swift-boaters. Come on, even Wright saw it coming a mile away, and Obama didn't prepare? Blech.

idiosynchronic said...

Even in the poorest soil, interesting things can pop-up. I honestly don't give a rat's ass about Kos and a majority of the FP's - it's the crannies and odd things posted because it's such a public site that interest me.

Honestly, the CDS is just as over-the-top as the irrational distaste some people have for the Clintons. I won't engage it. And if I see it on our front page, I'll edit ot delete it.

So what does this say that if Wright knew this was an inevitability, that he manipulated the circumstances, and Obama himself, into the end conclusion?

iamcoyote said...

Are you saying that Wright did plan what would happen? Or that this was his plan to help Obama? To tell you the truth, I wouldn't have seen Wright as a problem at all - but then the chattering villagers would find any small thing, like a lapel pin, to hang their hats on. They're way better at finding things to tickle the lizard brains of the masses, it's all that money they spend on market research and PR.

snark said...

Honestly, the CDS is just as over-the-top as the irrational distaste some people have for the Clintons.

I think you meant "distaste some people have for the Obamas", no?

I won't engage it.

Why I've almost stopped commenting at TLC. Not much hope in changing anyone's opinion. Either Clinton is Teh Evil or Obama is Teh Evil. It just pains me when I see it from people who I think know better.

And if I see it on our front page, I'll edit ot delete it.

No objection here.